Free Assesment Form

Family Sponsorship FAQs


Who is eligible to immigrate to Canada under Family Sponsorship Category?

To apply for family sponsorship visa, you must be sponsored by your close relative in Canada. To be precise, to qualify as an applicant of Family sponsorship visa, you need to in relation with the Canadian permanent resident or citizen following ways:

  • Spouse, conjugal partner, or a common-law partner
  • Dependent child
  • Parent or grandparent
  • Adopted child under 18 years of age
  • A brother, sister, nephew, niece, or grandchild who is orphaned, unmarried, and under 18 years of age
  • Any other relative, if the sponsor has no relative who is a Canadian citizens or Canadian permanent residents no other relative home country as well.

Who can apply for Family sponsored visa as Dependent Child?

A child of a permanent resident or citizen of Canada who is:

  • Unmarried and under the age of 19 years when the application is submitted for family sponsored Visa and when the child lands in Canada.
  • Financially reliant on parents because of disability, on or before 19 years of age
  • A full time student and financially dependent on the parents on or before 19 years of age. (Or since becoming a spouse or common-law partner, if this happened before 19). He/she may be of any age or marital status

What is the financial parameter to become a sponsor

A sponsor who is sponsoring a relative outside Canada for immigration, need to show the financial ability to bear the expenses (Essential Needs) of the person being sponsored. However this condition is waved if the sponsored person is a spouse/conjugal partner/common law partner or dependent child of the sponsor in Canada.

What do we mean by ‘Essential needs’?

The sponsor of a family visa, need to give an undertaking to provide ‘Essential Needs’ to the person being sponsored. The ‘Essential Needs’ means the basic requirements a person need for living, which includes:

  • Shelter, food, clothing, and other basic needs of daily living
  • Eye and Dental care and other health needs, which are not covered by public health services

Can a sponsor of family visa share the obligation of ‘Essential Needs’ with someone?

Yes. The obligation of ‘Essential Needs’ can be shared with Spouse or Common law partner of the Sponsor only.

What are the key documents required to apply for family sponsored visa?

Here are the key documents a person being sponsored for family visa need to submit:

  • Legal documents establishing the identity, such as:
    • Birth certificates
    • Valid passport and ID cards, etc. and
    • Household register forms
    • Police Clearance Certificates
  • Documents to prove the relationship with the sponsor, such as:
    • Birth certificates
    • Household register forms
    • Marriage certificates

All the above documents must be submitted along with the application form for permanent residency and family information form along with the other basic documents.

Who can be a sponsor of family visa?

A sponsor:

  • Need to be a Canadian permanent resident or citizen above the age of 18 years
  • Need to be staying in Canada physically
  • Should not be in jail
  • Should not be a bankrupt person
  • Should not be getting welfare assistance from government, except for disability
  • Must not be under a exclusion or removal order, being a permanent resident
  • Should not have been charged with sexual offence, or any offence against the person being sponsored
  • Should not be a defaulter of support payments to an ex-spouse or child ordered by the court
  • Should not be behind in payments on any immigration loans; and
  • Should not be the sponsor, where the sponsored relative got the social support while the undertaking was in effect.

What are the key documents Required to be a Sponsor?

As a sponsor, you require submitting the below documents:

  • An “Application to sponsor and Undertaking”
  • A “Spouse/Common-law Partner Questionnaire”
  • A “Sponsorship Evaluation”
  • A “Sponsorship Agreement”
  • Government processing fees

Moreover, the below documents are needed too:

  • Documents for the Sponsorship Evaluation of a sponsor, i.e.
    • Tax returns
    • Proof of financial obligations such as mortgages, property/school taxes, personal loans/lines of credit, alimony payments, and insurance payments.
    • Proof of other income such as rental and pension income, and
    • Notice of Assessment from Revenue Canada
    • Pay stubs or letters from employers indicating salary and length of time employed
  • Any of the below documents establishing Canadian status of the sponsor, such as:
    • Citizenship Card
    • Permanent Resident Card
    • Record of Landing
    • Certificate of Registration of Birth Abroad together with Certificate of Retention of Canadian Citizenship
    • Canadian Birth Certificate
  • Documents establishing relationship to the sponsored person, including:
    • Passports indicating identity of parents/children
    • Marriage certificates
    • Adoption Papers

Free Assessment Visa Assessment Form

    Please fill in the fields below .

  • SEND